There are no words. You can view some of the footage here:http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/us/2011/04/27/vo.tuscaloosa.tornado.WBMA.html. A close friend of this organization lost everything tonight. Due to the grace of God, these were all material things that can be replaced. Her and her family are alive and that’s the important thing.
There are many others close to this organization that are in the same position. Until further notice, all money made from sales from our store: www.openoureyes.bigcartel.com will be donated to these families. For those of you in the Mobile area, we are collecting ANYTHING you are able to donate – clothing, toiletries, etc. Also until further notice, all donations made to our Paypal account (firstname.lastname@example.org) will be used to purchase items for these famillies, as well. We’re compiling a list of things that each family needs and that will be posted within the next two days.
“We believe that pain is inevitable and the lesson is in the struggle not the victory. But it’s something that you don’t have to undertake alone. “ – We’re all in this together.
We’re heading to Tuscaloosa SATURDAY, MAY 7TH. We’ve spoke with the families we will be helping and below is a list of things needed. However, their needs are not just limited to this list. Anything you’d like to give is welcome. Please send an email to email@example.com or call Brittny Jackson at 251-509-2257 to coordinate a time for one of our staff members to come pick up your donations. All donations MUST be received by Friday afternoon.
– Clothing: all sizes and styles for children, women and men, shoes, accessories (purses, wallets, belts, ties, etc.) PLEASE WASH ALL ITEMS BEFORE THEY ARE DONATED! THESE FAMILIES DO NOT HAVE ACCESS TO WASHERS/DRYERS AND NEED THINGS THAT ARE READY TO WEAR.
– Toiletries: soap, toothbrush, toothpaste, shampoo, conditioner, deodorant, razors, feminine hygeine products, sanitizers, etc.
– Sleeping bags
– Toys/entertainment for small children
– Large trash bags
– Clear packing tape
– Storage bins or containers
– Hand held can openers
– Non-perishable foods
– Bottled water
– Soft drinks
– Cleaning supplies: mops, brooms, disinfectant wipes, etc.
Please refrain from donating large items at this time as it will be hard for us to transport them. If you do have larger items you would like to donate, we can refer you to other groups who can transport them.